What should i do until my appointment?

If you are suffering from a painful toothache, or something is wrong that requires urgent attention. Painkillers such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol are recommended; do not exceed the maximum dose. Studies show that Maxigesic, a combination of these two drugs is also very effective in the immediate relief of dental pain.
Applying clove oil, available at most chemists, on the gum of the aching tooth will provide some relief.

What should i do if i have a swelling?

Swellings are caused by an infection. Contact us immediately to receive treatment or antibiotics.

If you have reached us outside of clinic hours and have swellings to the face please visit the hospital as it is potentially life threatening.

What should i do if i have fractured my tooth?

Fractured teeth can usually be restored so there is no need to panic. If the tooth is painful, avoid hot or cold and avoid eating or biting on that side i.e. relieve the tooth from extremes of temperature and pressure. Painkillers such as Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Maxigesic should help. Pain-free treatment is usually available by contacting us quickly.

 What if i have lost a crown?

Keep your crown safe so it can be re-cemented as soon as possible to avoid damage or the need for root canal treatment. Contact us immediately.

What if i have knocked a tooth out?

  • The tooth needs to be re-implanted into its socket as immediately as is possible..
  • Try not to handle the tooth root to protect the fibres around the root surface.
  • If possible, place the tooth back into the socket and splint in place with silver paper.
  • DO NOT place the tooth in water.
  • DO place the tooth in cold milk or on one side of your mouth between your teeth and cheeks
  • Contact us immediately

What if i have broken my denture?

Broken dentures can usually be repaired relatively easily. Please resist the temptation to glue them together yourself as this often makes a repair very difficult. Contact Us to organise the repair.